Our mission and vision to enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people and set the foundation of how everyone in the agency organization engages. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Niagara Falls and Big Brothers Big Sisters South Niagara, the Executive Director is an inspirational and collaborative leadership role accountable for strategic agency organization management. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Ambassador and Spokesperson
- Represent and promote the agency to increase community awareness and support
- Positively influence partners, media, and public policies to generate volunteers, donors, mentors, and other resources
- Liaise with governmental departments and other community agencies deemed necessary, appropriate, and advantageous for the agency
- Maintain a favourable profile and represent the agency positively within the service area communities and at large.
- Support a diverse and committed Board of Directors willing to lead and contribute to the overall success of the agency
- Attend Board and Committee meetings and provide regular reports, recommendations and agency updates
- In consultation with the board president, prepare agenda and associated materials for all board meetings and AGMs
- Provide independent governance, oversight and performance accountability to the Board
- Communicate to the Board, identified human resources needs, including staffing, training and development needs.
- Proactively lead the agency in the identification, development and cultivation of long-term relationships with individuals, foundations, donors/funders, and government
- Personally, build and maintain key relationships to ensure achievement of fund development strategy
- Manage all fundraising efforts and oversee all grant writing and timely submissions.
- Manage all deliverables of grants and/or otherwise acquired external funding to ensure continued support of grantor/funder
- Develop plans to maximize the financial strength of the agency without adversely affecting other criteria of success
- Develop long-term financial plans (minimum 3-year scope) and secure new program partners and funding sources to support current and future program initiatives
- Develop and oversee the implementation of budgets, including monitoring the progress and changes related to accounts in consultation with the Board Treasurer
- Facilitate accounting functions with the exception of completing monthly reconciliations and annual audits
- Ensure all appropriate grant sources are explored and applied for in a timely manner to maximize opportunities.
- Partner with the staff to maintain existing and develop new programs in accordance with agency policies, strategic vision, and National Standards. This includes ensuring maximum program impact is achieved by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines, and obtaining required resources
- Ensure comprehensive marketing strategies are developed to attract, engage, and mobilize volunteer mentors to meet the community needs
- Ensure agency staff adhere to National Standards for service delivery.
- Attract, retain, and develop high-performing talent to effectively execute the objectives of the agency
- Ensure that clearly defined position descriptions are created and maintained for all staff
- Create an environment where staff are engaged and supported to influence objectives positively.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all legal obligations
- Responsible for promulgating and ensuring compliance with all agency policies and National standards
- Oversee and ensure risk management policies and procedures are sufficient to protect the agency, employees, and volunteers from liability and other claims
- Establish and ensure all professional licensing, and other accreditation requirements are in place to satisfy legal, regulatory and other requirements
- Ensure that Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of insurance coverage
- Confirm an annual external audit is performed, and the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held in accordance with the agency bylaws
- Perform other job-related duties as may be assigned by the Board.
- Will usually work in an office environment; however, the organization’s mission may at times involve non-standard workplaces
- Will work between two agency offices and required to work evenings, weekends, and overtime hours as needed to accommodate Agency activities such as Board Meetings and representation of the organization at public events.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline
- Certificate/education/experience in non-profit management and/or volunteer work is required
- Minimum of 7 years experience in a senior management position leading and developing a strong team together while developing and executing strategy
- Experience reporting to and working effectively with a Board of Directors is an asset
- Proficiency in applying all Federal and Provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations, including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety etc.
- Ability to speak comfortably, confidentially, and persuasively in public forums to represent the agency to a variety of stakeholders
- Enjoyment of and proficiency in networking in a variety of social settings
- Demonstrated experience in financial and human resources management in addition to building and executing successful fundraising strategies
- Strong relationship-building skills with a diverse group of stakeholders
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness and success of programs
- Effective listening and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial and self-motivated with the ability to problem-solve creatively and effectively.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Niagara Falls and Big Brothers Big Sisters South Niagara welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please send applications to email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest and will directly contact those selected for an interview.
Interested in volunteering? Click here.